January 28, 2021
It’s January… the height of the flu season. The coronavirus is still running rampant, with more infections and deaths every day. There are two new highly contagious strains out of South Africa and the U.K. that officials fear may not be responsive to the current vaccine. The CDC is predicting the U.S. death toll may reach 500,000 by mid-February.
And yet, states around the nation are suddenly, miraculously, opening up…
Could it be because their guy – and gal – won the election and are now in the Oval Office?
Did these politicians use this virus as a way to influence the election?
The short answer is yes. And it’s one of the most despicable, selfish, and destructive things ever done to the people of this great nation.
Paralyzed With Fear
In March 2020, fear gripped the nation. Lockdowns were instituted across the country as people huddled in their homes, hoarding canned soup and other staples in their basements.
Basic items like toilet paper and cleaning products were sold out and back-ordered for months.
Amazon made oodles of money… Netflix too. Democrats insisted on the importance of mail-in ballots because of the virus. And regular Americans struggled.
This draconian lockdown order continued for months on end.
Increasingly, politicians ignored their own orders while still demanding the people in their communities follow the rules…
- In Michigan, people were not allowed to travel even intrastate to another property they owned.
- In New York, local barbershops couldn’t open their doors.
- In Pennsylvania, residents were told they must wear masks in their own homes.
- In California, group gatherings were vehemently discouraged… (though that didn’t stop the Democrat state governor, Gavin Newsom, from attending a meal at the now infamous $400-a-head French Laundry restaurant with multiple friends.)
- In Los Angeles, a local lawmaker voted to shutter outdoor dining… then celebrated by having dinner outdoors before the order took effect.
Yet now, suddenly… just a week into the new presidency… the country is opening up.
Hallelujah! I’m thrilled. It’s the right thing to do…
But can we be real? What’s so different about now… other than the fact that we have a new president?
COVID Is Real
Let me be clear… COVID-19 kills. COVID-19 is scary. We need to do everything we can to protect ourselves and our loved ones from this virus.
But that doesn’t mean you need to completely shutter an economy.
I’ve said from the beginning of this crisis that we needed a strong economy to fight this virus. And we needed to be smarter.
Not only did New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo send thousands of people with the virus into assisted living facilities and nursing homes to recover – as his administration was doing as late as mid-April 2020 at a time when everyone knew better – he mugged for the TV cameras in multihour-long press conferences (for which he scored himself an Emmy Award) while thousands of New Yorkers were left to die.
It seems Cuomo’s administration effectively enabled the rapid spread of the virus among our most vulnerable members of the population, while he completely shuttered the state’s economy, including the once-thriving New York City.
But now… it’s time to reopen?
In fact, Cuomo recently just tweeted,
We simply cannot stay closed until the vaccine hits critical mass. The cost is too high. We will have nothing left to open.
Politics Is Breaking Our Nation
Again, I’m glad we’re reopening… But what troubles me considerably is the power that government yielded over us during the last nine-plus months.
Politicians used the health crisis in an abhorrent, political way. They proved they were willing to destroy Americans’ livelihoods so they could improve their chances politically…
But how can we ever trust them again? Knowing that they were willing to shut us down… only to immediately reopen as soon as their candidate took charge?
Consider the reality…
- On Friday, just two days after President Joe Biden took office, Michigan announced that restaurants could reopen for indoor dining on February 1 (albeit, at just 25% capacity).
- The next day, Chicago also permitted bars and restaurants to partially open.
- And just this week, Newsom lifted California’s stay-at-home orders.
What this really tells you is that our country is broken…
Rabid, power-hungry politicians paralyzed Americans, forcing them to shutter their businesses and locking down their communities for almost a year…
Only to reopen America, in the middle of the flu season and at the height of COVID-19’s worst months yet… just after their team takes over?
They used the news of coronavirus… they used every one of us… to ensure mail-in ballots… to ensure a sense of chaos and hysteria… in order to gain control. And now that they have their control, they’re willing to open back up.
I don’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but someone needs to call this out…
How can we ever trust our leaders, knowing that they stomped their feet and locked down our country for selfish political reasons?
This is big government gone wild.
Consider what’s happening in California, where Gov. Newsom is no longer sharing data about reopening efforts with the public. Is this to save face? Despite maintaining nearly the highest rates of infections in the country and struggling with ICU capacity, California is no longer disclosing data on how it determines whether a community’s stay-at-home order should be lifted.
Because the data is apparently now too complicated for people to understand. Seriously, that’s the state’s explanation.
The local television station KGO-TV, an ABC affiliate in San Francisco, says “state health officials rely on a very complex set of measurements that would confuse and potentially mislead the public if they were made public.”
Confuse? Mislead? Huh?
Apparently, the real data suggested there was no way the state was close to reopening (assuming the goals on infection rates and ICU beds previously in place). So rather than share it, they tell us they can’t because it’s too confusing and we might not understand it.
This is the government deciding for itself who can and cannot open, science and data be damned…
They have destroyed peoples’ lives. As the economist Stephen Moore rightly pointed out in my recent podcast – government is effectively attempting to destroy our right to survive.
- Our national press is now acting more like Pravda in the days of the Soviet Union… praising the administration while attacking its enemies.
- Reporters gleaned the wrong lesson from Watergate… They taught themselves not that they could take down an American president, but that they could take down a Republican
- COVID-19 re-openings in New York and California are transparently politicized – an attempt to boost the economy for a glowing Biden’s 100 First Days narrative.
- At the moment, the real political war is not between Right and Left, or MAGA and Establishment Republicans, but rather with the GOP and their own voters.
- The Republican party needs to stop viewing their voters as a nuisance and recognize them for who they are – their bosses.
Instead of protecting people with proper safety protocols, they shut it all down… But now, Biden assumes the presidency and they open it?
Just think about the timing of all this and let us know what you think.
I am more convinced than ever before that we need to keep our government small… and on a very short leash.
Love us? Hate us? Let us know how we’re doing at [email protected].
Publisher, American Consequences
With Editorial Staff
January 28, 2021